Windows 8, 8.1 Upgrade To Windows 10
It is easy to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, even from Windows 8. However, there are several pitfalls and potential issues that you need to understand before jumping onboard. Thus, here are some concerns and some answers if you are going to upgrade to Windows 10.
Duration for the Installation
The duration for the installation might vary depending on the age of the computer and its configuration. Most of the time, 2 hours is fairly enough, while others would require longer in comparison to newer devices.
Lost Data After Installation
If you are going to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10, there is nothing to worry about data loss. If you have important files stored on the system drive, namely C:, then you should move them to another drive on your computer. Better yet, you can consider moving them to a backup drive.
Issues of Sluggishness?
Many people who have upgraded to Windows 10 have found that their computers worked more smoothly compared to the previous version of the operating system. Others state that their computers work just as before.
Reasons to Upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10
- Windows 8 Are Prone to Errors – Those who use Windows 8 have found out that errors frequent their computers. Such would include RunDLL Error, Blue Screen Error, Boot Error, and Activation Error, among others.
- Windows 10 Have More Features – There are many features that users can get from Windows 10, which include the integration of Cortana, combination of the best of Windows 8 with a similar desktop feature to Windows 7. It also works across different computers, tablets, and phones.
- Free Upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 Users – Microsoft has given users free upgrade within 1 year after launching Windows 10. Moreover, users can even enjoy this feature, even if the version of Windows is pirated.
Upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 10
Upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8 can be done easily by following the guidelines below.
- Reserving Free Upgrade to Windows 10 – As long as you still have Windows 8 running on your PC, you can see a little Windows icon at the task bar by the right end. Simply click on the icon and click on the link Reserve Your Free Upgrade that you can find on the app window. You can confirm your reservation by typing in your email address.
- Upgrading to Windows 10 – Once you made the reservation with the free upgrade, you simply need to wait for the update from Microsoft. A notification will be sent to you from Microsoft when the upgrade will be ready for your PC.
Upon upgrading to Windows 10, you need to know several things, which include the following.
- Windows Settings – This will keep your desktop background, Ease of Access settings, and Internet history and favorites.
- Apps – The apps that would work after upgrading will remain. Most of the apps might work, while others might not. For those that would work, it might require reinstallation before using them.
- Personal Files – The files saved in your User Folder will be kept here, including Desktop and Documents folders.
If you are a Windows 8 or 8.1 user, you can still upgrade to Windows 10 but you also need to know the prerequisites to ensure a flawless process.