Here’s How You Can Download Google Earth
Google has just released an update for its well-known geolocation program Google Earth — the first update in five years. The new version has been welcomed with open arms by teachers, students, scientists, non-profit organizations, and armchair travelers because of the exciting features that it brings. These include Knowledge Cards, which provide you with interesting info about the place you’re viewing, and Voyager, which takes you on guided tours around UNESCO World Heritage Sites and other exciting areas.
The new update will make you want to give Google Earth a try or revisit it if you’re a previous user. Here’s how you can enjoy it:
Download Google Earth in Your Android device
- Go to the Google Play Store.
- Search for “Google Earth”.
- Tap on the “Install” button.
- Tap on the “Accept” button.
- Launch the Google Earth app once it’s installed.
Google Earth is available only in Android devices as of now, but Google assures users that they will release a Google Earth app for iOS devices in the coming weeks.
Use Google Earth on Desktop
The latest Google Earth update is available only on the Google Chrome browser — it can’t be accessed on the Google Earth standalone desktop program. So, to enjoy Voyager and other new Google Earth features, you’ll need to launch Google Chrome and go to earth.google.com/web. Support for other browsers like Firefox and Safari will be be made available soon.
If you want to download the Google Earth standalone desktop program (without the new update) on your computer, you need to take these steps:
- Check that your computer meets Google Earth’s system requirements. PCs should be running on Windows 7 or newer, Windows XP, or Windows Vista. Mac computers should have Mac OS X 10.6.0 or later, while Linux computers should have LSB 4.1 libraries.
- Open your browser and go to google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html.
- Read the Terms of Service then click on the “Agree and Download” button.
- Save the GoogleEarthSetup.exe file.
- Launch the file once it’s downloaded to install Google Earth in your computer.
Check out this post to learn more about the Google Earth update!